Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Happiness is a Decision

(By Jen)

I saw a quote on a magazine cover the other day that said:
"Happiness is a decision."

So, I had to stop think about it for a minute or two….. is this really true? Is it really a decision, or do you seriously have no control over how you act and feel? I mean, you hear all the time of people who quit their jobs because "they just weren't happy there." Or people getting divorced because "they just weren't happy." Or of people who have committed suicide because "life wasn't worth living and they just weren't happy anymore." Well, after much thinking, you know what conclusion I came to? No one ever said that life on this earth would be easy, but you sure can try to make the most of it and find the positive about things while you're here! Quit using "unhappiness" to justify sin, or to justify a negative overall attitude! Sure it's horrible to lose a job, lose a loved one, fight with your spouse, overdraft on your checking account, foreclose on your house - but there is always, always, always a reason to be happy and to smile about SOMETHING. Surely you can find at least ONE thing in life that can make you smile and show you just how incredibly blessed you are. If you have the Lord in your life, that’s one thing right there! He can get you through anything! Now, I’m not saying that there's never a time to cry, get mad, and show other emotion..... but overall, there's just no reason NOT to be happy a majority of the time and find the good in the midst of the bad! You can choose to get upset about things, or you can choose to let them roll off your back and be happy! After all, it IS your decision – it truly is. ;) As my Auntie is famous for saying: “we all make our choices!”

Proverbs 17:22 says: "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine....." So get happy - it’s good for your health! =)

6 comments:

Ali Farmer said...

today started off on the wrong foot for me so I was a little down until I read your helpful reminder.

Thanks for putting it in perspective for me friend!

Jess said...

so very true. have you ever seen 'pursuit of happyness'? what an inspiring story! i, too, am tired of hearing the 'not happy' excuse especially when it comes to a marriage. guess what, we ALL have those moments but it's SO worth pushing through those times. it's tragic really for those who don't come out the other side, or don't even try. my dad once said you have to wake up every day deciding to love your spouse. i think happiness is the same way. you have to decide to be happy, or at least content, with where you are in your life and what God will be doing through us. Challenging? Absolutely. Possible-Aren't all things?

Erin and Tim Zickrick said...

I wore flip-flops today too!! Happiness!! :) That's what I'm happy about today. :) :)

Mom Walker said...

One of your best blogs yet! You are a blessing to me--in more ways than one!

Clare said...

I needed this today. :) Happiness is so closely intertwined with thankfulness. If we are thankful we can't help but be happy because we see that "every good and perfect gift is from above". Thanks!

Moosecoke said...

Okay... you need to start writing a book... Wow girl! What an encouragement you are to me.