(By Jen)
All of my life I feel like I have had THE most perfect name. Jennifer Lynn Kelly. I loved my name. Three first names - easy to pronounce, easy to spell. It just baffled me that most of my friends didn't like their names and wanted to change them, or better yet, they didn't like the spelling of their name and wanted to change how it looked. Me? I was completely happy with my name...... until 4 1/2 years ago that is. ;) Now don't get me wrong, I was ecstatic at first to take on the last name of "Fulkerson," but little did I know how much I would come to want my old name back. The main reason? Kelly was much more simple to say AND to spell. It took much less time out of my day (and for those who know me well know that I hate to waste time). When I USED to say my name over the phone, here is how it would go:
Person on phone: "And what is your last name?"
Me: "Kelly"
Person on phone: "Is that with an "e-y" or just "y"?"
Me: "just y."
Person on phone: "OK, you are confirmed for........"
Time of phone call? 2 minutes. =) But NOW when I say my name over the phone, here is how the conversation goes:
Person on phone: "And what is your last name?"
Me: "Fulkerson"
Person on phone: "Uh (long pause)....... can you spell that?"
Me: "F-u-l-k-e-r-s-o-n"
Person on phone: "OK, let me confirm. Your name is Jennifer, last name Sulkerson. S-u-l-k-e-r-s-o-n."
Me: "No, not "S", "F." "F" as in Frank."
Person on phone: "Oh, I'm so sorry. Let me go back and fix it......... I now have Jennifer Fulkerson. F as in Frank -u-l-k-e-r-s-o-n. Is that correct?"
Me: "Yes, that is correct. Thank you."
Person on phone: "OK, you are confirmed for........"
Time of phone call? 2 hours. =) I keep trying to get Greg to change our last names to Kelly, but he won't do it...... something about how I should have thought of that BEFORE and how it might make some people upset. Can't blame me for trying though, eh?? ;)
(By Greg)
Well, I've had this name all of my life and really haven't given it a second thought. But it IS funny to hear and see how badly people can butcher my last name. Just last week for example: Brian, my brother-in-law, went to reserve tuxes for their wedding. Apparently it was quite the adventure. The lady took the names of everybody in the party, and from the sounds of it, she might have been old and hard of hearing. She obviously couldn't hear, or couldn't spell (even though Brian spelled EVERY name, letter by letter for her)! Jeff Belval (correct spelling: Belveal), Sean Haz (correct spelling: Hayes), Josh Dunkin (correct spelling: Duncan, as in yoyos, not donuts). But the best one by far was my name -- Greg FUKerson! Seriously? Who would have that last name?
Which brings me to my somewhat newly acquired nickname -- "Focker." If you've ever seen "Meet the Parents," you'd know what I am talking about. I'm not 100% sure where that came from, but I think my old roomie gave me that nickname back when that movie came out in 2000. Now granted, this isn't THE most appropriate of nicknames, but when you have my last name, you just have to take what’s been given to you. Besides, it IS pretty unique -- I can only think of two people that have that nickname.....
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Yeah, Jen, I am completely on board. Try being a Little Picker! Little Riddle was cute, but with all the "fun" things you can put in front of Picker it is a little too easy to be made fun of (think nose, etc.). I tried to convince Joel we should just chose a new last name completely...something easy like Taylor! Oh well, at least he got promoted and is no longer Private (E-2) Picker!
I don't really mind being a "farmer" but people still do ask how to spell it...weird!:)
focker. much better than being a fukerson. son of, never mind...
hahaha, glad my last name won't be dauenhauer!! :)
I can relate. When my name was Earll, which you would THINK was easy, I got "ear-ral-e" "early" e-arel"...I guess the extra "l" really threw people for some reason. Now that it's Shoup I am constantly having to explain that it isn't "shoop", which isn't too bad, but that it's pronounced like "shout" with a p instead of a t. I have pretty much given up on explaining that to people over the phone. Waste of my time and energy. :)
When it comes time to have grandpuppies, maybe their last name can be Kelly. Actually, if you ever quit running around the country on all of your many vacations and settle down and have babies, maybe their last name can be Kelly. Something to think about...
I've never read a blog to Tracy before this one. TOO Funny! Ya' think our youngest will have stories to tell?
I stumbled onto your blog while surfing "prayer for Baby Cora".
I was stuck with the boring maiden name of "Brown". My mom's maiden name was Fulkerson and I have to admit, that the last name Brown, however easy to spell, is much less interesting than "Fulkerson".
Who knows... we may be related.
: )
Post a Comment